What to Do if You're Charged With Child Abuse in Northern Virginia
The criminal defense attorneys at the Sprano Law Firm represent people facing any charge along the spectrum of child neglect, abuse and welfare cases. We handle serious felony charges of child sex abuse or excessive corporal punishment. We also advise people about responding to less severe charges that can still cause a lot of trouble for the defendant and the whole family.
If you need legal counsel about child neglect or abuse charges of any degree of severity, contact our office in Fairfax to discuss your case with a knowledgeable defense lawyer.
Call 703-763-0979 or 866-936-5614 for Advice About Child Welfare Charges
Most child abuse or neglect cases are charged as misdemeanors, but a case involving physical injury or sexual assault will likely be charged as a felony. Your most effective defense strategies will depend a great deal on the details of the case, any prior history of abuse, and the strength of the evidence against you. Our job as defense lawyers is to show you ways to meet the charges that can significantly reduce your exposure to punishment.
Over the years, we've helped clients overcome criminal problems related to child abuse and neglect allegedly related to:
- Sex crimes, ranging from indecent liberties to unlawful carnal knowledge
- Domestic violence involving simple assault or aggravated assault
- Drunk driving with a child passenger in the car
- Abandonment charges involving leaving a child unattended in a car or home alone for a weekend
- Contributing to the delinquency of a minor
- Excessive or malicious corporal punishment
- Abduction, especially in cases where a noncustodial parent takes or keeps a child away from the custodial parent in violation of a court order
A big part of our work is to put the bare charges and police reports into perspective. There's a big difference between leaving a child in the car for 15 minutes while you're stuck in a long bank line and doing so for three hours while you're drinking or gambling. Many other factors can complicate a child abuse case, ranging from the age of the child to the credibility of a mandatory reporter who suspects abuse in every bruise or scratch.
Find out more about the ways we investigate and defend charges of child abuse and neglect in Northern Virginia. Contact a criminal defense attorney at the Sprano Law Firm in Fairfax for a free consultation.